Education on social work ethics and ethical decision making
The ethics of social work as applied ethics defines the purpose of teaching the course: to help students in their attempts to solve contemporary moral problems, associated with making an ethical decision. Social work education reflects social issues in society related to social inclusion, poverty and prosperity. Social work training at the Faculty of Medicine of Trakia University has an established tradition in cooperation with the institutions of social services and the state social agencies. This article highlights the importance of ethical education for students to acquire ethical decision-making skills, according to the specifics of practical situations. We argue that teaching by analysis of ethical dilemmas derived from the practice is one of the most effective means to develop and consolidate the practice of the real activity of performing the difficult but justified ethical choice. In this context, five groups of dilemmas that derive from the practice of social work in Bulgaria have been analyzed. The analysis and discussion of ethical dilemmas in teaching the ethics of social work are presented as a tool for orientation of students in the moral problematic situations with which they may encounter in the practice of social work.
2. Banks, S. (2009) ’From professional ethics to ethics in professional life: implications for learning, teaching and study.’, Ethics and social welfare., 3 (1). pp. 55-63, http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17496530902819078
3. Banks, S. (2008) ’Critical commentary: social work ethics.’, British journal of social work., 38 (6). pp. 1238-1249; http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/bjsw/bcn099
4. Bartels, R. (1967). A model for ethics in marketing. Journal of Marketing, 31(1), 20-26. https://doi.org/10.1177/002224296703100105
5. Benkova, K. (2013). Ethics of social work. Kontrast. ISBN 987-954-338-061-9
6. Benkova, K., Georgiev, Y., Vlaeva, N., Kolev, G., Peeva, K. (2017). Supervision of professional burnout of social workers in Bulgaria. SGEM2017 Conference Proceedings. ISBN 978-619-7408-20-1 / ISSN 2367-5659. Book 3. Vol 3. (pp. 751-758)
7. Blennberger, E. (2006). Ethics in Social Work - An ethical code for social work professionals; The Swedish Association of Graduates in Social Science, Personnel and Public Administration. Economics and Social Work
8. Callahan D. (1980) Goals in the Teaching of Ethics. In: Callahan D., Bok S. (eds) Ethics Teaching in Higher
Education. The Hastings Center Series in Ethics. Springer, Boston, MA. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4613-3138-4_2
9. Callahan, J. (1994). The ethics of assisted suicide. Health & Social Work, 19, 237-244. https://doi.org/10.1093/hsw/19.4.237
10. Council on Social Work Education. 2015. Educational policy and accreditation standards Retrieved April 5. 2019. Retrieved from https://www.cswe.org/getattachment/Accreditation/Accreditation-Process/2015-EPAS/2015EPAS_Web_FINAL.pdf.aspx
11. Demarco, I., & Fox, R. M. (1989). New Directions in Ethics: A Text of readings. 3 ed. Ed. Belmonf, Calif., Wadsworth, 1989
12. Dolgoff, R., Harrington, D., & Lowenberg, F. M. (2005). Ethical decisions for social work practice. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks.
13. Fritzsche, D. J. (1985). Ethical issues in multinational marketing (pp. 85-96). Lexington Books, Lexington, MA.
14. Fritzsche, D. J. (1991). A model of decision-making incorporating ethical values. Journal of Business Ethics, 10(11), 841-852. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/25072223
15. Gray, M., & Webb, S. A. (Eds.). (2010). Ethics and value perspectives in social work. Macmillan International Higher Education.
16. Hoy, J., & Feigenbaum, E. (2005). Ethics in Community Care Making the Case for Ethics Consults in Community Mental Health Centers. Community mental health journal, 41(3), 235-250. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-005-4995-9
17. IASSW (2018). Global social work statement of ethical principles. Retrieved from https://www.iassw-aiets.org/
18. IFSW. (2018). Global definition of social work. Retrieved from https://www.ifsw.org/global-definition-of-social-work/
19. Kidder, R. M. (1995). How good people make tough choices. New York: Morrow.
20. Kusev, I. (1998). Основи на социалната работа (Bases of social work). Kabri. Sofia
21. Loewenberg, F. M., Dolgoff, R., & Harrington, D. (2000). Ethical decisions for social work practice, Itasca, IL. IL: FE Peacock.
22. Mattison, M. (2000). Ethical Decision Making: The Person in the Process. Social Work, 45(3), 201-212. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/23718603
23. Mattison, M. (2000). Ethical decision making: The person in the process. Social Work, 45(3), 201-212. https://doi.org/10.1093/sw/45.3.201
24. Minev, T. (2012). Теоретични и методически основи на социалната работа (Theoretical and methodical bases of social work). Велико Търново. Faber. ISBN 978-545-400-811-6
25. Mullin, Richard P. (2005). "Josiah Royce's Philosophy of Loyalty as the Basis for Democratic Ethics". In Leszek Koczanowicz; Beth J. Singer. Democracy and the post-totalitarian experience. Value inquiry book series: Studies in pragmatism and values. pp. 183–84. ISBN 978-90-420-1635-4.
26. Popova, K., Angelova, M. (2004); The History of Social Work in Eastern Europe 1900 – 1960; Research Project: History of Social Work in Eastern Europe (1900-1960) Country Report Bulgaria 2/2004
27. Reamer, F. G. (1983). Ethical dilemmas in social work practice. Social Work, 28(1), 31-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/sw/28.1.31
28. Reamer, F. G. (1998). The evolution of social work ethics. Social work, 43(6), 488-500. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/23717765
29. Reamer, F. (2013, September 03). The NASW Code of Ethics. Encyclopedia of Social Work. Ed. Retrieved 5 Apr. 2019. Retrieved from http://oxfordre.com/socialwork/view/10.1093/acrefore/9780199975839.001.0001/acrefore-9780199975839-e-829
30. Regulation for the Implementation of the Social Assistance Act (1998); State Gazette No.133 of 11 November 1998
31. Rosenthal, D. M., & Shehadi, F. (1988). Applied ethics and ethical theory. Salt Lake City: University of Utah Press
32. Social Assistance Act (1998); State Gazette No.56 of 19 May 1998
33. Viktoruk, E.N., Viktoruk, E.A. (2013). Ethics at university: temptations and prospects of “The user format”. Bulletin of the Krasnoyarsk State Pedagogical University. VP Astafiev, 4 (26)
34. Walz, T., & Ritchie, H. (2000). Gandhian principles in social work practice: Ethics revisited. Social Work, 45(3), 213-222. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/23718604
35. Zelenkova, I.L, Belyaeva, E.V (1997). Ethics: Study Guide and Workshop. Minsk: NTOOO TetraSystems
36. Zhukova, S.P. (2007). Workshop as a form of training on ethics at the university. Conditions and mechanisms for ensuring high-quality training of humanitarian specialists, 48